Long time, no see!

Home, sweet home! Kinda. We hit the ground running as soon as we landed. Robert is off to begin a new job and I’ve been ‘hard at work’ studying for my comprehensive exam coming up in just over a week.

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Florida

We got up bright and early at 2:50AM to make sure to have ourselves and the house ready for the shuttle to pick us up at 4:00AM, which changed to 3:45AM, and then again to 3:30AM by the shuttle company… A bit hectic and stressful, but we managed.

Sunrise over JFK

We arrived at the airport around 5:30AM. Who knew the airport was so happening that early in the morning? Typically Robert and I fly in the evenings, so this was a first for us. We waited about 30-40 minutes to get through security, which is the longest we’ve ever had to wait, which makes us totally spoiled. It wasn’t so much the wait time that irked us, as much as it was how disorganized the lines through airport security were, which is pretty typical for JFK, actually. But long lines and poor attitudes from the shuttle dispatcher were not enough to darken our travel day!

The flight went quickly and smoothly, and picking up the rental car could not have been easier. I seriously recommend you look into National rental car if possible. Completely hassle free and no one tried to upsell us on unnecessary rental car insurance. From there it was an easy 30 minute drive from the airport to town.

Let the roadtrip begin!

Let the roadtrip begin!

Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived so we decided we would wait it out with some lunch in town and beach time.

I'm sure it was 5 o'clock somewhere!

I’m sure it was 5 o’clock somewhere!.. Am I tan yet?

It was a perfect day for the beach.. hot & muggy, just the way I like it, and just about the only way I can get Rob in the water. I can’t brag enough about the beaches on Amelia Island. The water is warm, yet refreshing and the sand is flat enough that when you’re laying down you don’t need to do much sand squishing to avoid lumps in your spine.

Unfortunately, Florida’s been getting hit with some nastier-than-usual weather this summer, so the water was a tad murkier than I remember, which only freaked me out because of all the shark attack stories I’d been hearing lately. Still, a little murky sea water didn’t keep me from my beloved ocean.

A little island exploring before dinner.

A little island exploring before dinner.

We begrudgingly left the warmth of the sand due to the daily August thunder shower, checked into our hotel room, and did some exploring in town before meeting up with Robert’s aunt for dinner at her farm. The less time we spent in the room the better. Sleep was too tempting after such an early wakeup. We headed out to Centre Street, the main strip in Fernandina Beach, walked around, took some pictures with the locals (haha), and had a celebratory anniversary cocktail near the docks at Brett’s Waterway Cafe. The first time Robert and I came to Amelia Island we ate here with Robert’s family and had a really lovely meal.

We got there before they set up for the dinner crowd, which comes in around 5:30, so they let us take our drinks out to the porch to look at the water and for the first time in my life I saw real live seal mammals in the wild (with the exception of a seal once when we were on Cape Cod)! Unfortunately they were too far away to photograph or really identify, but without question we saw two dorsal fins swimming just off shore. This made me entirely too overjoyed.

Then we headed over to Robert’s aunts farm to enjoy some family time and dinner, and meet the new horses!

Meet Indy! An impressive 2,500lb logging horse.

Meet Indy! An impressive 2,500lb logging horse.

We were pretty tuckered out after dinner at the farm and headed back to our hotel. It was an incredible first day. We did so little and yet so much. The next day we headed over to St. Augustine and into the worst storms of our trip, but that’s a different story for another day. =)

I still have many, many pictures to sort through to share with you all and think that dividing the trip up into a few different blog posts is best. The next post will be about our day trip to St. Augustine, then a post about Orlando, then Tampa!

Then, with my test nearing and anxiety mounting I’ll be preparing for a weekend getaway to Maine with my dear friend, the expat.

Thanks for sticking with me, even with the large gap between posts. I hope you enjoyed reading and I hope you share your summer adventures with me as well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s